Saturday 25 October 2014

Day out in Kingston on Thames



Today it actually felt a bit like Autumn; it was a fresh, grey morning which brightened into a sunny day. The light has finally taken on that softer character, and I am now anticipating 'proper' cooler weather... any day now, I'm sure.

In the past week I've been opening my wardrobe doors and looking hopefully at the contents therein. This has not been a rewarding experience. Between the clear-out prior to leaving Australia and my continued weight loss, things are looking a bit dire on the clothing front. I've already had several work skirts taken in - twice - but these items and the couple of 'staples' I've purchased in the past few months (jeans, black work trousers, black work skirt) continue to grow ever more roomy, to the point where things are no longer able to be worn.

I'm working full-time and need to supplement my office outfits urgently. So today we set out for a serious shopping expedition in Kingston, which is only about a 25-minute drive away.








The Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames is about 16km south-west of central London, and historically it was the ancient market town where Saxon kings were crowned. The town centre is very nice, and in recent years there has been a lot of development along the river so it's a vibrant, happening place. Modern loft-style apartments abound, as do restaurants, cafes and boutiques.










Kingston has an additional attraction for us - not one, but two Carluccio's restaurants, so of course we factored in a leisurely lunch as part of the day's itinerary. Every time we dine at Carluccio's I end up ordering the same main course - I just can't help myself! The Penne Giardiniera... how I love it. Giant Pugliese penne with zucchini, chilli and fried spinach balls with Italian cheese and garlic. It's the most incredible combination of flavours and textures. The service is attentive, there is a great selection of Italian wine (my favourite), the coffee is superb and they even have a separate vegetarian menu. There was room for dessert.






Our shopping trip was very successful and would have been more so, had we not run out of time - because I had also booked us in to see the Australian horror movie The Babadook at the Kingston Odeon. It's a very creepy film indeed, and Essie Davis is superb as the sleep-deprived widowed mother of an odd little boy. 




So, I have an extra work outfit or two to tide me over until the next shopping trip. A productive and very enjoyable day.




Until next time,
- Maree  xo



No comments:

Post a Comment