Friday 23 June 2017

All the beautiful things...

This is a fairly brief post - I just wanted to share some of the gorgeousness I experienced at the House & Garden Festival in London today.


Looking down to the main exhibition area, from the gallery


Some of you might be aware that I am crazy for interior design. There are few things I enjoy more than making my own home as appealing and comfortable as possible, and over the twenty years or so that we lived in our townhouse in Queanbeyan, we pretty much transformed it by plastering, replacing the internal doors, installing plantation shutters, upgrading the kitchen and bathrooms, changing the flooring materials, painting stairways, painting over tiles, painting over exposed brickwork, and digging up and re-shaping the garden at least three times. We did most of the work ourselves, to keep costs down but also because I simply love it.

Kevin learned to become nervous whenever he saw me look up from a glossy interior design magazine, my eyes narrowing as I stared at a ceiling, or a wall, or a piece of furniture... he knew there was expense and/or labour coming our way. I have 'style files' built up over many years, was a very early Pinterest user (back in the days when you had to be invited by a member to join) and have been known to wait years for a bargain price on something I particularly love - my small quantity of pieces from the Jasper Conran Chinoiserie dinner service being a prime example.

My Mum's house wasn't safe either. I'd often barge in and rearrange all the potted plants on the back patio, or go through her cupboards to bring out some of her treasured 'good' items for display, grouping them in themes. I remember asking Mum what she was waiting for - why hide away the things you love the most?!

When Mum passed away and we sold the family home, I inherited quite a number of beautiful things - really expensive bed linen that she'd bought in sales but never used, exquisite silver fruit spoons that only saw the light of day a few times as far as I was aware, and so on. I use ALL of it, all the time. Every time I take out that Bohemian lead crystal bowl to make a salad, I think of Mum. Each weekend when I iron the Irish linen tea-towels, she's in my thoughts.


The 'Pooky' stand - I have one of their desk lamps and would happily
purchase more of their wares... if I had space for them


The Nor11 stand - fabulous mid-century Scandi inspired furniture

Exhibition room by The Pink House


A close-up of that funky drinks cabinet.
No detail unplanned - note the glam electrical fitting on the left-hand side
(for the internal lighting)


... and just look at this ADORABLE wallpaper - squirrels & hedgehogs 😃


Exhibition room by Studio Duggan.
I have had my eye on that bedside chest of drawers for about 3 years...
I need a bedroom large enough to accommodate two of them!


Now, I'm not usually a fan of animal print but despite it being a bold choice for carpet,
I think it really works in this room


So, you can imagine how I was looking forward to the House and Garden festival - the words 'pig' and 'mud' come to mind.

The exhibition rooms were wonderful, and I really enjoyed all the homewares, but I confess I was disappointed that something like 50 per cent of the stands were either food/drink or fashion/jewellery/accessories. Not that I don't enjoy those stands, but I paid for a HOUSE AND GARDEN festival.

I shall be providing my feedback to the organisers.

Meanwhile, take a look at the following desirable objets... and by this stage you will be forgiven for thinking I am obsessed by lighting.


Chandelier from the exhibition room by The Pink House


Lighting from a brand new, boutique company - Influx Design Limited
(this and the next two photos)






Jan Constantine's British-themed soft furnishings


Cushions with foxes and other cute critters on them 😃
I will definitely be purchasing from Zakka Home Cushions



Nope, sorry.
Waited for a while but that person whose legs appear in this shot was going nowhere



And yes, above I have complained about the large number of food and drink exhibitors, however I forced myself to taste a few things including Pinkster gin which combines gin and *raspberries* (happy dance!), and Conscious chocolate - raw, vegan, gluten-free, free from refined sugars, and low gi... this stuff is too good to be true!







No dairy, no refined sweeteners (just agave juice).
Yes, friends - I purchased!


I took the opportunity of attending one of the free 'expert' lectures - How to decorate a room, giving us the benefit of Rita Konig's advice. It was absolutely wonderful, and most particularly for me because quite a lot of the common decorating and design mistakes she mentioned - and what to do instead - I already knew about and put into practice. So I left with a warm and fuzzy glow (and that's code for smug).



I could have sat through ten of these sessions - I was well and truly in my element

It was great to see concepts and items that you might not necessarily want in your own home, because all knowledge informs your future decisions and I like to have my preconceived ideas challenged. I wouldn't dream of buying the Jan Constantine sofa below - let alone stacking a sofa with a gazillion cushions - but I can appreciate that somebody will be inspired by this.




All in all, a fabulous day.

I have regrets about my career choices. At various times of my life I've considered retraining in the culinary arts, interior design, tourism, and even hairdressing. But you know what it's like; you're getting older, you have a mortgage to pay, and starting again would mean years of minimal salary. 

With the benefit of hindsight, if I had my time again the career I'd choose would definitely be interior design. I just wish I'd been a bit braver.


One of the several champagne bars.
This was at 11:10am... well patronised, even before the sun was over the yard arm!


The venue - Olympia London in West Kensington: it was constructed in 1886

Until next time,
- Maree  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment